Skin Cancer Referral Survey

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Paul McElhinney

Please see message below from Niall Maguire who is collecting data to further his negotiations with the NCCP regarding the involvement of GPs in skin cancer

Dear PCSA member,

Whenever you refer a suspected or proven skin cancer to a hospital clinic. Please could you take note and retrospectively provide the dates of referral, access and surgery by completing the following short questionnaire for each case
      In this way, over time, we shall get a sense of how well cancer referrals are working.
      Thanks
      Dr N Maguire

Here is the Referral Questionnaire

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CancerSentinel

Mukesh Lalloo
      Participant

Paul,
      I have one query for the survey. can you tweak it to include appointments for patients referred but for whom say the hospital has refused to see or have given dates way into the future?
      For example, I have a young medical card patient attending me from another practice. He has had three dysplastic naevii removed in one go and has a lot more that will need close surveillance. I can not keep seeing him at €24 or so per visit for dermoscopy and referred him in with a biopsy proven high risk for melanoma. The dermatologist in CMH basically refused to see him, how do I enter that? I have written back demanding an appointment, meanwhile six months have passed and he is in the doldrums….
      Many times we refer only to have waiting times that are too long to retrospectively put them in the form, even though we know they are cancer or likely are high risk.
      Mukesh

Niall Maguire

Mukesh
      You are right. The survey was set up to capture all the key dates in retrospect. However, there is probably a need to record a narrative of ‘hopeless cases’ or perhaps we can just allow an option…I designed the survey and can modify it.
      I think the important thing is that anytime any one of us gets a letter from the destination service, it prompts us to complete the survey.
      I’ll have look as soon as possible.
      Thanks to Paul for giving the survey more prominence on the site.
      Niall

Niall Maguire

Mukesh
      You are right. The survey was set up to capture all the key dates in retrospect. However, there is probably a need to record a narrative of ‘hopeless cases’ or perhaps we can just allow an option…I designed the survey and can modify it.
      I think the important thing is that anytime any one of us gets a letter from the destination service, it prompts us to complete the survey.
      I’ll have look as soon as possible.
      Thanks to Paul for giving the survey more prominence on the site.
      Niall

Niall Maguire

I’ve added a 13th question that allows free text where an extreme delayer refusal to provide service occurs.

Niall Maguire

I’ve added a 13th question that allows free text where an extreme delayer refusal to provide service occurs.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.